(Image from: play.google.com)
For my research project for my Social Internet course, I am doing a project on Snapchat. As I work on my project and research on the topic I am going to post a few blog posts about my findings. The first is going to cover what is snapchat, the history of snpachat, snapchat stats and the difference between snapchat and Facebook.
What is snapchat?
Snapchat is an application available on both apple and android phones. The app allows you to take and send pictures and videos to individuals on your friends list. For your pictures, you can decide the amount of time recipients can view your picture. The time range is 1-10 seconds. On your picture you can also add text or draw on the image with the paint tool It is now possible to edit your “snap” with different filters, add a time stamp, the temperature and your speed. Also, the app allows you to have conversation with your friends on the app.
History of Snpachat: This video gives a brief description – check it out!
- 60 Million photos or messages are sent each day.
- Most users age range between 13 – 25 years old.
- 30 million monthly users and a total of 60 million users
- 70% of users are female
Snapchat V. Facebook:
Prior to starting my research, I didn’t know snapchat was a possible competitor of Facebook. For starters, Mark Zuckerberg, the creator of Facebook and the richest twenty-something in history, attempted to buy out snpachat for $3 billion!! Facebook tried to compete with snapchat with its own creation called “Poke”, this however had no success. In my opinion, these two things are very different but an article I read points out how snapchat rivals Facebook.
I remember every class in high school or lecture in undergrad stressed “once you put something online it’s there forever”. As a result, I have begun posting less and less of my life on Facebook. The younger generation has learned this lesson as well and thus Facebook average user is closer to 40 years old now compared to snapchats who users average around 18.
Here are the 3 biggest ways snapchat rivals Facebook based on an article by Forbes:
- Snapchat is more “Intimate and exclusive” – instead of adding your second grade teacher and pre-school crush on facebook, snapchat only users your network of actual phone contacts as possible “friends” on the app.
- Snapchat is consider “young and cool” – a lot of grandparents are now on Facebook, which I personally think is great, but teens not so much. The younger generations are all about the apps, not PC’s.
- The app allows users to not worry about “self-censtorship”
(Image from: Image from: www.independent.co.uk )
Next I will post about the recent ads added to Snapchat!